Known for it’s annual Seven-A-Side Cricket Weekend, Premer village is situated 86km west of Quirindi in country where three different soils meet – red, sandy and black – on the north-western corner of old Premer Station. Premer is one of the major grain receival centres in the north-west. The increase in grain production has been the result of a change in emphasis from pastoral to agricultural pursuits in the area.
The Premer district has seen the pattern of historical development common to Australian pastoral history in the region: from large, unfenced squatting runs to smaller fenced and sub-divided properties and in recent years the reverse process to some extent with the removal of fences for strip farming and soil conservation purposes and larger farms for sustainability. The area has gone from purely pastoral land use to a mixed agricultural and pastoral land use that is possible in the rich soils.
The railway reached Quirindi in 1877 and Tamworth in 1878. In 1882 a plan was recommended to connect Werris Creek and Dubbo. After various proposals were considered by Parliament, work finally commenced from the Dubbo end in November 1913. Construction gangs were camped where the trucking yards are now at Premer and some engineers and foremen had their wives and families in tents at the camp. The Engineer in charge of line construction had a map with the station marked as Bone Creek and changed it’s name to Premer. Plans of the railway station drawn in 1920 have Bone Creek crossed and Premer written beside it.
The Sports Club has existed since 1930 when the first tennis courts were built. Cricket and rugby were played on the sports ground and a swimming hole in Cox’s Creek was a popular spot in the 1930s as well as horse races and activities at the race course.
Like many other villages, Premer suffered a decline in prosperity in the mid 1960s when drought affected the rural economy and in the 1970s when low beef prices caused a rural recession. However, the village has stabilised as diversified cropping has led to greater productivity in the district.
Premer’s first grain silos were built in 1941 with a capacity of 5,450 tonnes (and upgraded in 1978). A timber framed bulkhead was built in 1961 and a concrete igloo of Type A stories was built in 1968 with a capacity of 29,950 tonnes. In 1976, six new concrete bins were built. Premer now has a grain capacity of 1.89 million bushels. A new rail loop construction greatly facilitated the removal of grain from the new complex.
The Premer and District Lions Club began in 1979 and is still operational. With the passing of many charter members over the years a recent membership drive saw the club numbers increase by 13 (the largest increase in Australia). The Lions Club is responsible for the running of the Premer 7-A-Side Cricket weekend at the end of September every year.
Many campers and travelers use the Premer Park on their travels as a resting spot. The Premer Lions Club built and have extended the amenities at the park to include toilets, shower and disability access.
Premer Store now provides Fresh fruit and veg, fresh milk and bread, grocery and clothing items along with postal services.
Premer HALF WAY FROM TAMWORTH TO DUBBO
HALF WAY FROM COONABARABRAN TO QUIRINDI